16 Feb. During & After
Housekeeping: Changes to final paper workshop, 1
Next Tuesday is the final day of workshop for the Place Essay, and I would prefer to hold individual 20 minute meetings in my office instead of a regular class session. If you are all OK with the change, and i order to schedule you all, I am sending around a sign-up sheet with available times.
Discussion, Elizabeth Kolbert “The Sea Around Us” (111-125)
- 1. How do the waters around Castello Aragones “provide a near perfect preview of what lies ahead” (114)?
- 2. According the scientists Kolbert interviews, what does lie ahead?
- 3. So what?
- 4. What techniques for describing the future can you borrow from Kolbert to use in your own descriptive essays?
Freewrite: Imagining the Future
- 1. Describe the scene captured by the image below.
- 2. Describe life in a world where America’s coastal cities are underwater.
Part II: Workshop
Get into pairs, read one another’s drafts, and respond to the worksheet I passed around. The peer review w/s is reproduced below:
Final W/S, Next Class
- Open to your draft on your computer, and then move from computer to computer and read your peers’ drafts
- After you read the draft, 1. Explain the threat that threatens the authors’ place, and 2. Suggest one concrete detail the for the author to include